- 1 kg. potatoes (if possible to cook)
- 2 l. of water (or until covered)
- Salt to taste)
- 60 g. Butter
- 100 ml. whole milk
How to prepare a homemade potato puree.
That the potato is one of the quintessential accompaniments of our gastronomy, is an indisputable fact.Whether they are French fries, cooked, fried potatoes, stewed potatoes, baked potatoes, potatoes to the importance, stuffed potatoes, accompanied by salsa brava, in salad or simply for a party, potatoes accompany us in many of our recipes.
One of the most classic ways to prepare potatoes as a side is the simple and at the same time delicate mashed potatoes. Despite being a quick and easy recipe, we do not always achieve the perfect texture or flavor when preparing a homemade mashed potato. That is why I want to leave you a series of guidelines to follow to get a perfect potato puree, how to make the best potato puree.
Choice of type of potato
- As the first step in preparing a good mashed potato, we have to make the decision to choose the type of potato. It is important that the variety chosen has a quantity of starch, of the floury type.
- Within this group we have the Baraka, Kennebec or Monalisa which, due to the amount of starch they provide, will help us to obtain a creamier puree. It is important that we do not use waxy type potatoes that may be better for frying. Another point to take into account is the time of the potato, the ideal is that they are neither new nor too old.
- How to cook potatoes
- We must cook the potatoes whole, without peeling and trying to make them all the same size. On the one hand, we will cook them with the skin to prevent the cooking water from entering the potato, leaving it a little watery, which would be detrimental to the final texture of the puree.
- We should try, as far as possible, that they are all the same size, since the doneness of a large potato will be different from that of a small potato in the same time.
- Larger potatoes will be slightly raw or small ones overcooked. We must cook the potatoes by placing them in a saucepan and covering them with cold, slightly salty water.
- We will cook them for about 30 minutes, depending a little on the size of the potatoes that we have chosen.
- We can verify that the potatoes are at their point when when pricking them with a knife they do not offer resistance. They allow us to prick them and remove the knife without falling apart.
How to mash potatoes
- Once we have the potatoes perfectly cooked and drain them from the cooking water.
- With a sharp knife and while still warm, we remove the outer skin. The moment of mashing them is a point to take into account when obtaining a creamy, smooth potato puree without lumps.
- We can use a potato masher, a tool specifically designed for this type of preparation. A classic masher or even a simple fork, always treating the potato hot. And only what is necessary, without overworking it. What is not recommended is that we use an electric mixer or any type of food processor.
- These appliances will mistreat the starch in the potato causing the final texture of the puree to be chewy.
How to incorporate butter, salt and milk. Final presentation
- When incorporating the butter, it is important that it is at room temperature. This way it will be easier to incorporate it into the potatoes and we will avoid having to overwork them to integrate them.
- It will be easier for the butter to melt, with the heat of the potato if we use it at room temperature than if it was cold.
- The milk must be heated before adding it to the potatoes. It will help to blend perfectly and result in a creamier puree.
- Although we have already cooked the potato with some salt. It is at this moment when we can check if it has risen enough or it is necessary to complete the amount. That is why it is important that we do not cook the potatoes with an excessive amount of salt.
- It is preferable to stay a bit short and then rectify the amount at the end of the process.
How to Serve and Store Mashed Potato
- Something fundamental if what we want is to serve the best possible mashed potato, is to do it at the right time. That is, as soon as possible once we have it ready.
- This is a preparation that should not wait for the rest of the meal. It will be at its best if we consume it freshly prepared. If we have had to prepare it in advance. The way to keep it warm is to keep it in a water bath over low heat, being careful to cover it with a transparent film or a kitchen towel. If what has happened is that we have left over from one meal to another. We can keep it in the fridge for up to 48 hours, taking care to cover its surface with a transparent film.
- The plastic must be completely glued to the top layer of the puree. This way we will prevent it from drying out.
- When it is time to put it back on the table, we will heat it in a double boiler, covering it with a thin layer of milk, stirring it until it is integrated.
How to make variations of our traditional potato puree
- We can make a fun and original mashed potato by adding various ingredients to the basic mixture. Adding an egg yolk will enrich the mixture and add creaminess.
- We can also add a different touch if we add a pinch of some kind of grated cheese that is creamy and has a characteristic flavor. A tablespoon of thyme, basil or fresh and finely chopped parsley will leave us a classy mashed potato.
- After all these guidelines I am convinced that making the best mashed potatoes will no longer have secrets for you. It only remains to put it into practice and enjoy a yummy mashed potato.